Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tuna Salad with a crunch (amazing)


It's amazing that so many people are intimidated by cooking.  Once you understand the basic fundamentals there is no reason that you can't make the perfect meal for you.  My husband is the creative one in our house when it comes to creating new recipes.  The fundamentals that I learned in culinary school help make his vision happen.  We are a great team!

Since I lack in the creative department, I like to put my spin on recipes that I see on Food Network, in Bon Appetit or on one of my favorite food blogs.  This allows me the opportunity to create a dish that is perfect for me but I don't have to spend hours testing recipes that may or may not work.  If a recipe says to use a certain type of fish and you don't like that fish there is no reason you can't change it up a bit.  The cooking temperature and time might change but other then that it's as easy as a little swap out.  If you love a certain herb or spice...try it out.  If it's not perfect then the next time you make the dish try something else.

Today's recipe was inspired by one of my favorite blogs The Kitchn.  I had a lot of cabbage left over from my Shrimp Tacos so I went on a search for more cabbage recipes.  This recipe looked simple and packed with flavor.  The other thing I like about this recipe is there is a touch of mayonnaise but the majority of the wet ingredients comes from non fat plain yogurt.  As always, I put a little spin on it to create a specific flavor and decided to serve it as an Hors D'Oeuvres so I toasted some bread and cut into smaller pieces and then topped with the tuna cabbage salad.

The recipe below is based on a 2 servings but my pictures are for triple the recipe.  The Tuna-Cabbage Salad turned out better then I could have imagined.  It is crisp, fresh and packed with flavor.


Tuna-Cabbage Salad
2 servings
One 5-ounce can tuna, drained
2 cups finely chopped cabbage
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
3 tablespoons plain non fat yogurt
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices of Italian Bread (use your favorite)
Olive oil to drizzle
Dried oregano
salt and pepper
Shred the tuna with a fork and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Eat immediately or else refrigerate for up to two days.
Lay bread slices on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with dried oregano and a touch of salt and pepper.  Broil in oven on high until desired darkness (I broiled mine for approximately 2 minutes - do not walk away from the oven).  
For appetizer cut each piece in thirds and top with tuna salad.  For meal either make an open faced sandwich or use two slices of bread.
Enjoy!
Ingredients (ignore the thyme - I ended up using fresh parsley) 
Finely chop cabbage
Tuna, Cabbage and Parsley 
Mayonnaise and Sour Cream added to the mix 
Mix and add salt and pepper to taste
Slices of Italian Bread
Drizzle with Olive Oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano 
Broil on high until desired doneness (this bread was broiled for approximately 2 minutes)
Finished product and BOY OH BOY is it delicious and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment