Monday, March 5, 2012

Shrimp Tacos with Cabbage, Avocado, Feta and Chipotle Jalapeno Yogurt Sauce


It's all I could do today to not think about leeks.  Did you know that when they are cooked they take on a creamy consistency?  Me...no clue.  As you will soon discover, my love for cheese runs deep but there was something about those braised leeks that did the trick.  Below are a few more leek recipes that I found online that I hope to try out soon.  Let me know if you have any favorites that you would like me to post and put my spin to create a simple recipe.


This afternoon, I looked at my seasonal list and cabbage caught my eye.  I spent three years in Southern California so my first thought was to do some type of taco.  SoCal makes the most amazing fish tacos so with some shrimp in the freezer my menu planned itself.  Like leeks, I have very light experience with cabbage and in a way I took the easy way out with this recipe.  Perhaps I will try my hand at Corned Beef and Cabbage later in the week with the left over cabbage...more ideas to come later I am sure.

My husband and I created this recipe as we went and he ended up making the most AMAZING yogurt sauce.  We have done many versions and it adds a fresh flavor to any dish.  We used Greek yogurt but you could also use plain regular yogurt.  My only recommendation is that is is plain.

Shrimp Tacos with Cabbage, Avocado, Feta and Chipotle Jalapeno Yogurt Sauce
Serves 2

1/2 Pound of Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
1 Garlic Clove (chopped)
1/4 Cup of White Wine
Salt and Pepper to Taste

6 Ounce container of Plain Greek Yogurt (or regular)
1 Jalapeno (remove as many of the seeds as you would like, we did half - seeds are where the heat is)
1/4 Teaspoon of Chipotle Chili Powder

4 Flour Tortillas (whole foods makes really tasty fresh tortillas)
1 Cup of Shredded Green Cabbage
1 Avocado (sliced)
1/2 Cup of Feta (crumbled)

Heat olive oil in a small saute pan.  Add garlic and cook for one minute.  Add shrimp and flip after two minutes when they turn a light shade of pink.  Add wine and a pinch of salt and pepper.  Once shrimp is cooked through remove from heat.

In a food processor combine yogurt, jalapeno (cut off stalk and remove seeds) and chipotle chili powder.  Blend until smooth.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  You can also use a blender or mix in bowl if you dice the jalapeno fine.

Shred cabbage and slice avocado.  Cover tortillas with a damp paper towel and heat for 20 seconds in the microwave to soften.  Place shrimp, cabbage, avocado, feta and yogurt dressing on tortilla.   

This recipe should take you less than 30 minutes from start to finish.  

Saute Shrimp in olive oil and garlic 
Flip when light pink and add wine (take off heat when cooked through) 
Halve Jalapeno and remove seeds (if desired) 
Combine yogurt, jalapeno and chipotle chili powder in food processor 
Shred cabbage 
Slice avocado 
My little helper
Delicious!!!



1 comment:

  1. Love this SoCal inspired receipe! I will have to try it soon. The new blog is awesome, good for you Mrs. Julia!! Lots of love from San Diego.
    -Fergie

    ReplyDelete